Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Homemade Applesauce

I originally intended on making apple butter, but Daven wanted applesauce. The process is the same; there's just significantly less sugar in the sauce than there is in apple butter.

I didn't keep count of how many apples went into this. I had a bag full to work with.

Peel the skin off of apples.
(Some people leave the skin on. I don't like it that way. )

Slice apples and chop into small pieces.

Add cinnamon, sugar, and brown sugar to the bowl. The amount depends on your tastes. I used a cup of brown sugar, 1/4 cup sugar and a few tsps of cinnamon. A dash of nutmeg if you're feeling adventurous.

This may sound like a lot of sugar, but keep in mind that my largest bel was filled to the top with apples.

Microwave for 15 min. Stir every 5 min.

Move apples to the blender and purée.

Eat hot or stick it in the fridge.


I also made a small batch without any sugar or spices for 6 month old Lainey to try. I'm excited to find out if she likes them as much as she likes sweet potatoes!

Daven will eat this by the bowl. I plan on making some biscuits soon so I can top them with the applesauce. Yum.



2 comments:

  1. Yummy!!!!!! Love applesauce! Wish my kiddos liked it as much as I did. They just want the apples, so then I never make it for just myself.
    I might have to now, though >.> The pictures made me drool

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't really like the texture of the store bought applesauce, but I LOVE my mom's homemade kind. She mashes hers instead of blending. Mine is pretty close in taste to hers :). Unless I have something to dip them in, I don't really like eating apples either!

    ReplyDelete