Monday, November 26, 2012

Book Review: Gone Girl


If I were to review this book in a single word, it would be WOAH.

Anyone who enjoys thrillers or suspense should pick up this book.  And if you don't?  Read it anyway.  It might just open up a new genre.  Seriously.  I'm not kidding.  Do I look like I'm kidding?  Well that's just my normal face.  Just trust me.

But seriously, Flynn takes her readers through a roller coaster, like the ones that go upside down so many times you're dizzy when you try to get up at the end of the ride.  But it's so awesome that you go back and ride it again.

I had heard a bit of buzz about this book, although I couldn't really place where if you asked me (so don't).  I'd periodically check the library to see if it was available, but it never was and there was a long list waiting.  I didn't put myself on the list because honestly, it could be seriously a year before it would be my turn.  Not to put pressure on any slower readers; I'm just impatient when it comes to good reads.

Then I happened to notice it on the bottom of the book shelf at my sister-in-law's house this past Monday and asked if I could borrow it.  She was gracious in letting me borrow not only this book, but a stack full.  Anyone that knows me knows that I am a full-on nerd when it comes to books and I was pumped to have new reads.

"It doesn't turn out like you think it would" was what she told me.  Fair enough.  Most thrillers don't if they're written well.  100 pages in and I texted her "This guy is a jerk!"  She told me just wait.  HO-LEE-COW.  I understand what she meant though.  You can't give away anything without ruining it. 

Here is the synopsis if you're curious: http://gillian-flynn.com/gone-girl/

Basically, the book starts out like an opening scene for Law and Order.  Flynn gives the reader a bit of time to get acquainted with the situation and the characters and then BA-BAM!

This book was the most technically  engaging book I've read since The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo series.  And it's equally as twisted, although not quite as graphic.  I've already told quite a few people that they need to hurry up and read it just so I can discuss it with someone.  This is urgent!

So if you happen to get a gift card to a bookstore this holiday season, I'd definitely recommend Gone Girl.  While it's number 85 on the list of books I've read this year (not counting comic books) I'd rank it in the top 5 for sure.

1 comment:

  1. So, I had to listen (audio version) to the first few chapters of this book and I absolutely couldnt stand it. AT ALL! But I think it had to do with the peoples voices that read the book. Anyhow I never got to the end. We got to where her parents are there and his dad had just been picked up from the polica station and taken back to the home. Please inbox me on FB and tell me what happened to the stupid Amazing Amy.

    ReplyDelete