Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Book Review: Pink Balloons and Other Deadly Things

I found this book through a wonderful twitter account, Free eBooks Daily.  I'm sure that many reviews I will be doing will be as a result of this.  She lists all different types of books each day that are currently for free on Amazon for the kindle.  It's much nicer browsing through her daily selection than trying to search "free ebook" on your own and muddle through hundreds of pages of smut. 

While I have downloaded quite a few books from the suggestion of @FreeEbooksDaily, this is the first one that I have read.  And it's great!  Although I checked on Amazon and it's currently $3.99 for the ebook.  So it's no longer free, but it's still affordable. 






This is a story about a single, soon to be divorced mother turned amateur detective.  After her husband's detestable fiance ends up topless and dead by the side of Carrie's old pool, she becomes a suspect and desperately tries to prove her innocence.  But before she can manage this, other people from her former married life end up dead as well.

I finished this book pretty fast, and look forward to subsequent books in this series.  I love that the main character Carries reads Janet Evanovich and drinks hot tea.  She struggles to take her own advice that she gives to so many of her patients during their biofeedback sessions, especially when it comes to her husband of 18 years.  If you are a jerk, cheating husband, this book is not for you.  Jerk.

I did spend more of the book being totally confused as to how the title connects to the story.  My husband asked me what I was reading last night when I was about 30 pages from the end and I said, "...but I have no idea why the book is called this."  The "ah-ha!" moment doesn't come until the very end of the book, when the killer's identity is revealed.

I would recommend this book to anyone who likes a mystery thriller.  I look forward to reading more of Nancy Tesler.

No comments:

Post a Comment