Friday, April 12, 2013

Book Review: Reflected in You



I wasn't sure if I should write a review on this type of book or not.  It's one of those, how would you say...mature books.  This genre of literature is basically a soap opera in book form.  This particular one is the sequel to Bared to You.  Readers of 50 shades, this in-the-works trilogy is for you.

I read the first book last year, borrowed from my sister (it's still sitting on the shelf on my hutch; I keep forgetting to give it back!)  This one I borrowed from a friend.  Not sure if she wants to be named or not, since the content goes a little beyond pg.

When I began this book, I honestly couldn't remember what had happened in the first one, even though it had been less than a year since I had read it.  Sure, there was tons of hanky panky, but plot wise?  I had drawn a blank.  Basically there's a girl and a rich guy.  That's the start of pretty much every chick lit, right?  In this case, both of them are rich (although him much more so) and both have royally messed up childhoods.  Yep, that pretty much sums up the first book.

In Reflected, they fight.  Until you get to the last third of the book, pretty much all they do is each other, alternating with "I'm going to break up with you" fights.  And then instead of resolving their many issues, they just have some more of each other.  Ew, that just sounds gross.  But it's a fast read!

The end of the book leaves the reader hanging.  I really wasn't planning on reading the third book when it comes out, but now I'm curious as to how those two are going to deal with the huge illegal elephant in the room that closes out book 2. 

Overall, I give this book a "meh".  It's entertaining.  It's quick.  I didn't learn anything, although I wasn't planning on it anyhow.  Read it?  Don't read it?  Meh.  Sylvia Day has a prescribed formula that works for her.  I'd like to see her step outside of this genre, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment