Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Book Review: The Lighter Side of Large



I downloaded this book free from amazon, although it is currently priced at $4.99.  This is Becky Siame's debut novel, in a genre called "reality fiction".  As you can probably deduct from the cover art, the book centers around an overweight female character.

Bella struggles everyday; bumping into people in a crowded coffee shop, self-conscious and pessimistic about life.  Her husband left her for her own sister when their second child was only two weeks old.  Now those two are getting married and Bella is expected to attend the wedding.  With much pushing and encouragement from her friends, she decides to make some big changes in her life.

I was afraid that this was going to be an unrealistic novel about someone who lost the weight quick and lived happily ever after, but it was much more than that.  And while the author didn't list the specifics of Bella's new diet and exercise routine, she did show the struggle that occurred. 

The book touched on the issue that self-acceptance is difficult, no matter what size you are.  It is a powerful message that I myself struggle with, and it was refreshing to experience it through this character's perspective.

Unlike Bella, who starts the journey a single parent, I have a husband who loves me for me, no matter the size.  Now I need to become healthier and happier with who I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment