Monday, September 24, 2012

Book Review: Emergency Room

 http://www.carolinebcooneybooks.com/author/forthepress.html
I saw this book on the featured ebooks on the library website.  It immediately took me back to middle school.  Why?

Caroline B.  Cooney was my first favorite author.  It started with Face on the Milk Carton.  I couldn't tell you why I read it or how exactly I got a hold of it, but it was such a great read.  There were sequels to it, and I read those as well, along with my bff, Shelby. 

Immediately after downloading this book by her, I had to text Shelby and make sure that my memories were correct.  Yes, we both read the books.She could remember more detail than I could.

Cooney is a writer for teens; I'd call it YA although I'm sure there's a slight difference.  I wanted to see if I still enjoyed her writing as much as I did when I was younger.  If you read my last blog entry then you know that I read YA anyway, along with handfuls of other genres.

Emergency Room - the title tells you the location of the literary journey.  But it's not a story of doctors and surgeons - it's about two college freshmen who are volunteering at the hospital, hoping to get a jump start on their medical careers.  Along the way you meet more characters who are all in this inner city hospital.  Each has a small story to tell, from the teenage single mother with twins to the college classmate who is also within, although not to work or volunteer.

It was a quick read and Cooney lived up to my expectations.  It made me want to go back and reread the books I used to love.  Most importantly, because I found out that she is writing a 5th book to the series that is supposed to come out sometime next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment