Thursday, September 13, 2012

Recycled Wine Bottle Craft

Yesterday while I had a few quiet moments I got crafty. Daven was asleep on the couch and the wee one I sit for was content to observe.

There is this feeling of sad when a wine bottle goes empty, and I can't seem to throw them away. It's been a long time since I've bought wine for myself, so I've been holding onto the bottles for a while.

Pinterest showed that some people crocheted around their bottle - I'm not that cool yet. That would require not only working in a circle but increasing/decreasing. These are for the most part above my level.

I decided to do something simple instead - chaining. It's the foundation for anything crochet, and it looks a lot like a braid.

I really don't know how long the yarn got to be. I'd chain for a while and then wrap and glue. A hot glue gun would probably be most effective but I didn't want to use it with little ones around.

The bottle I used was from a cheap wine, so it had a lid instead of a cork. This helped, though, because I was able to anchor the yarn in the cap of the bottle to get it started.

Chain, wrap, glue, repeat. Originally I was thinking of adding eyes and a mouth to make a ghost, but I like it plain so much!

I might try this with green yarn next, in hopes of making a Christmas tree. I have some sparkly pom poms in the craft box that Daven might like gluing on :)

No comments:

Post a Comment