Monday, June 10, 2013

Book Review: The Hitwoman Series

I said that these books were on my "to-read" list, and I meant it.  Once I started in with the first book, I couldn't get the next one fast enough.  And now that it's over (until the next book comes out) I feel bummed.  I was lucky enough that they aren't expensive to buy an ecopy of; the most I paid for one was $3.99.






So how do I talk about all four books without giving too many things away?  Maggie was in a car accident with her sister, sister's husband and niece.  While Maggie came out relatively unharmed, her niece Katie went into a coma, and Katie's parents didn't make it.  A "good Samaritan" act gets her propositioned for a job as a hitwoman, hired to kill.  While she never in her life thought that she would kill anyone ever, the people on the list are bad people, and she has to find some way to pay her niece's hospital bills.

Aside from all of this craziness within her life, Maggie finds that since the accident she can understand and talk to animals.  Katie's pet lizard, Godzilla (or God, as he prefers to be called) gives Maggie the business when she tries to give him freeze-dried crickets instead of live ones.

So Maggie has an adopted talking lizard, a comatose niece, and a mobster for a boss.  And if that isn't enough, she has to continue working her day job at an insurance company as well.

I love these books so much.  I got through them like a Janet Evanovich or Charlaine Harris novel.  The third book was more of a novella, and I wish it had been longer.  So far, my favorite of these is the last one, The Hitwoman and the Family Jewels.  But if you haven't read the others, don't skip right to this one.  Read at least the first two books before.

Lynn leaves you hanging at the end of Family Jewels, and I wish that the next book was already out so that I could continue the story.  If you give these books a try, let me know what you think about them.  I'd love to hear! 

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you're enjoying the series! Thanks for the fun review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well you made me want to read them! I love Janet E. and Charlaine Harris, so I'm sure I will enjoy them. Thanks for the recommendation! And how cool the author commented! :-)

    ReplyDelete