Saturday, June 29, 2013

Book Review: Lifeboat


Lifeboat blurb:

Cass Carmichael has lost everything; her husband, her son, and her will to live. She walks the streets and paddocks when she can't sleep. One night she sees a UFO. She can't stop thinking about it. She becomes obsessed.

When natural disasters destroy the earth she is rescued by extra-terrestrials and taken to a new world where the human race can rebuild.

But something is wrong here. This may not be the Utopia she expects. Survivors are vanishing without a trace.

Can Cass unravel the riddle in time to save herself?




My Thoughts:

What...the...

Did that just...

You mean...

But wait...

These are just a few of my unfinished thoughts immediately after finishing Lifeboat.  What the french fried frogtails?!  See, I just can't put how I feel into words.

Also, I really want to visit Australia.

Shepherd has seriously put my mind through a ______________. insert something sci-fi- nerdy here.

I don't typically read science fiction literature.  Maybe it stems from my childhood aversion to the Goosebump series, or sci-fi movies scaring the bloomers off me.  But in general, the only alien I ever encounter is Roger from American Dad on Adult Swim.  But I've been branching out quite a bit this year in the different genres that I have been reading, so when I heard that Shepherd was looking for people to review her book, I jumped at the chance.  Ok, so I didn't literally jump.  You all know that I am top-heavy and jumping is a hazard to me and others around me.

As a reader, you've got to stay alert during the beginning of the book because of the different character perspectives and past/future/present-day time shifts.  Cass is the main character, and I automatically felt for her.  Just the thought of losing my son and husband is about enough to send me away to be continually sedated.  I was so empathetic, it hurt.  Throughout her grieving, she fixated on UFOs and eventually found herself at a meeting of other enthusiasts.  It was here that she met Rhys, an engineer who was researching for a book about UFO sightings and findings.  But they don't stay on Earth long. 

Dun dun DAH!

Once the surviving humans are left to begin rebuilding civilization, it starts to get really good.  Added into the mix is an Irish guy named Seamus, and an unspoken love triangle begins.  Of course it helps that both gentlemen  are young, fit and good looking.  If it weren't for her past tragedy and current abduction, I'd say "Aw, poor Cass." in a very sarcastic tone.  But come on.  This girl has been through enough.  Give her a little eye candy to ease her stress a bit!

I wish that I had someone to talk to about the ending of the book.  It basically left me speechless.  I told my husband what had happened and how I couldn't figure out if I was supposed to like the ending or not.  I was definitely not prepared for it, that's for sure.  I wanted to reach into the pages of the book and punch an alien or twelve. 

Do me a favor and read this book so that we can talk about it.  It's definitely worth a bit of your time to read!


Author bio:

A.B. Shepherd grew up in Lansing, Michigan, but moved to Australia in 2009. She now lives in the Limestone Coast region of South Australia, with her husband and their imaginary friends. She can usually be found seaside at Port MacDonnell, or lost in a fantasy world.

Lifeboat is her debut novel. The Beacon, her second novel, has an anticipated release date of Christmas 2013.

If you'd like to learn more about A.B. Shepherd please visit her website at abshepherd.net.

A.B. loves to hear from readers. Feel free to email her at TheRealABShepherd@hotmail.com with your thoughts regarding Lifeboat, or anything else that takes your fancy.

You can also connect with her on Twitter @ABHPShepherd and on her Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/pages/Author-and-Blogger-AB-Shepherd/336336493057737. 


Lifeboat is available at the following online retailers:

1 comment:

  1. Wow - thanks for reading and reviewing Lifeboat and for sharing your thoughts with your readers. I'm glad you reacted to it so strongly. Feel free to email me at TheRealABShepherd@hotmail.com. I'd be glad to discuss it with you. :)

    ReplyDelete