Saturday, February 2, 2013

Book Review: Warm Bodies

I will honestly admit that I did not know that this book existed prior to the movie trailer.  Even then, it started out as simply a movie that I would like to see.  Then I saw that one of my twitter friends was reading the book.  I got WAY excited.  Of course the library didn't have it.  But when I found it for my Nook for under $10, I splurged and bought it.  I finished it in a little over a day's time and now I really want to see the movie!






Not unlike The Walking Dead series, Warm Bodies is set in a time where the government has crumbled under the weight of a zombie apocalypse.  But for the first time, the story is told through the eyes of a zombie instead of a survivor.  He can't remember who he used to be or even his name, and calls himself "R".  In the beginning of the book, he is in full zombie mode - wander, stare, eat people, repeat.  He lives with a zombie clan at the airport, and has a friend named "M", with whom he communicates with shrugs and grunts, and the occasional word.

Isaac Marion gives us an answer to the question, "Why do zombies eat brains?"  I won't spoil it here.  If you are a zombie enthusiast you may have already come to a similar conclusion.  Anyhow, things really start to change when R meets Julie on a food run.  But instead of eating her, he shields her from the other hungry chompers and brings her back to his airplane home.

If you've seen the movie trailer, they hint that R begins to become more human.  But is he the only one?  And will they really change enough?  What happens to Julie?

I loved the book and hope you will, too.  Let me know if you decide to give it  read!
Come on, you know you want to read it and find out.

2 comments:

  1. I wanna read it but I dont know that I enjoy the idea of zombies becoming more human like again...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Give it a try. It's not that much of a time commitment so if you don't like it, no harm done. You can even borrow my Nook if you don't want to purchase it yourself. I mostly read on my iPad now so there would be no problem with you borrowing it.

    ReplyDelete